Friday, August 1, 2008

Getting the Boot!

Yesterday I walked to my car to move it for the street cleaning and found an unpleasant surprise; a boot! Apparently I forgot to put my temporary parking permit in the window and once the 4 hour time limit expired I was given a summons and a boot.

For those of you not familiar with parking rules in Hoboken, let me explain. First of all, you cannot park on any street for more than 4 hours unless you have some kind of permit. On one side of the street you will see white parking signs. This allows you to park for up to 4 hours. If you need to park longer than you need a permit. On the other side of the street you will find a green parking sign. Only cars with resident permits can park here.



I have a temporary permit but since I didn't place it where it could be seen I was given the summons and the boot. A boot is a device that is put around a wheel of the car which prevents the driving of the car.



To have it removed is quite easy. I called the number on the summons and after paying a 'removal fee' the operator gave me a code which I entered on the device which then let me remove the boot. Unfortunately the removal fee is $150! I plan to go to court to see if I can recover some of this fee but I don't feel very hopeful.

So if you are parking in Hoboken on the streets, BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL!

No comments: