Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sprained Muscle Keeps Me In Hoboken!

Actually the sprain was severe enough to not only keep me in Hoboken but its confined me to my apartment for the weekend. It happened when I was doing a basic Yoga pose, child's pose. As I was leaning into the pose, SNAP, I felt the a buttock muscle pull.

I'm still recuperating but I wanted to share this advice for those of you who may also suffer from a soft tissue injury. I actually made things worse by taking a hot bath later the day of the incident and also continuing to walk on it even though the leg started to feel numb.

RICE relieves pain, limits swelling and speeds healing, and it is often the best treatment for soft-tissue injuries, such as sprains and strains. Here's what to do:

  • Rest: The injured area should be moved as little as possible to allow healing to begin.

  • Ice: Apply it immediately to reduce inflammation, which causes more pain and slows healing. Cover the injured area with an ice pack inside a wet cloth and apply the ice for 10 to 20 minutes intermittently for 48 to 72 hours. Never ice for more than 20 minutes, because it can cause a nerve injury.

  • Compression: Using a pressure bandage helps to prevent or reduce swelling. Use an elastic bandage. Wrap the injured area without making it so tight that it will cut off the blood supply.

  • Elevation: Raise the injured area above the level of the heart. Prop up a leg or arm while resting it. You may need to lie down to get your leg above your heart level.

Do all four parts of the RICE treatment at the same time. If you suspect a more serious injury, such as a broken bone, call your health care provider immediately.

Source

No comments: